Friday, February 5, 2010

Allowing God to use us

Today's Readings:
Sir 47:2-11
Ps 18:31, 47, 50-51
Mk 6:14-29

Our first reading speaks about David the King of Israel and mentions that God took this young shepherd and transformed him into a powerful king. Even when David sinned against the Lord, he repented and the Lord forgave him and was still able to use him. The Lord can do great things with very little, just wonder at what he wishes to do with us. Today let us allow our God to use to accomplish his plan of salvation and continue to allow his Son our Lord to shine through all that we do. Have a great day and God Bless.
Prayer: Let it be done according to your will O Lord, for to you be all the glory and praise. Amen.

Saint of the Day - St. Agatha
A beautiful Christian girl named Agatha lived in Sicily in the third century. The governor heard of Agatha's beauty and brought her to his palace. He wanted to make her commit sins against purity, but she was brave and would not give in. "My Lord Jesus Christ," she prayed, "you see my heart and you know my desire. You alone must have me, because I am all yours. Save me from this evil man. Make me worthy of winning out over the devil." The governor tried sending Agatha to the house of a wicked woman. Perhaps the girl would change for the worse. But Agatha had great trust in God and prayed all the time. She kept herself pure. She would not listen to the evil suggestions of the woman and her daughters. After a month, she was brought back to the governor. He tried again to win her. "You are a noblewoman," he said kindly. "Why have you lowered yourself to be a humble Christian?" "Even though I am a noble," answered Agatha, "I am a slave of Jesus Christ." "Then what does it really mean to be noble?" the governor asked. Agatha answered, "It means to serve God." When he realized that she would not sin, the governor became angry. He had Agatha whipped and tortured. As she was being carried back to prison she whispered, "Lord, my Creator, you have protected me from the cradle. You have taken me from the love of the world and given me patience to suffer. Now receive my soul." Agatha died a martyr at Catania, Sicily, in the year 250.
Reflection: "She teaches by her example to hasten to the true Good, God alone." –St. Methodius

Saint information comes from: http://www.holyspiritinteractive.net/dailysaint/february/0205.asp

No comments: